EFFECTIVE PRACTICES


For this post, I am reflecting on the events of the one hour per week that I have with my growing group of elementary age writing workshop participants at Howell Mountain Elementary School and comparing my observations to my developing core values, which are an adaptation from the Core Values of 826 National as describe by Ninive Calgari (co-founder of 826 National) during her talk on September 10, 2010.  The purpose of this is to evaluate my mission (to support young writers in pursuit of writing excellence and publication) through a series of evaluated effective practices based on trial, reflective documentation, and research.

Monday October 11, 2010

4:00 pm arrived and I met my group of students outside the library where they gulp down a snack before between homework club and their next after school class. 

"Let's go writers got a lot of work to do!" I shouted as I led my group toward the library.

Right then, the schools 1st/2nd grade combo teacher approached me to say that her daughter  (a third grader in my group) is really enjoying my class.  "She likes it so much that she doesn't mind missing school, but she laments missing your class."

This feedback is valuable to me when I start to wonder whether or not one hour per week allows for sufficient time to be effective.  In my graduate research and writing course this semester, we are discussing the value of qualitative research.  Essentially, the greatest value comes from developing relationships and observing how these building relationships set the stage for effective teaching and learning practices.

Had I brought my camera, I would have been able to document the visual scenario of today's workshop, which was focused on gearing up for our first publication.  But instead, I have attempted to draw a visual of the students working in our workshop space located in the Howell Mountain Library so as to explain the events of the hour.  First I got the group together on the couches, where we routinely meet to discuss our daily projects and future plans.  I showed them the cover design for our first publication of Candy Houses due for release by the end of the month.  I told them that we would need a cover art design for the front page and about 3 kids volunteered to draw one.  We agreed that we would vote on the cover design, but the rest of the design pieces would be published within the pages of the book. 

The spirally blue circles represent the all kids working on either their writing pieces, or an illustration for the cover.  Three students went to computers to type out the pieces they had completed in preparation for decorating their book page(s). Three of the students worked on cover art, and 2 of them worked on illustrations for their own pieces.   One student (represented by the orange line circling the library) did just that- circled the library for the entire hour.  But he is a first-timer kindergartener, and I decided that his exposure to the writing and illustrating being accomplished by the other students in the library was good enough exposure to the workshop environment for one day.

The remaining three students sort of sat around with their notebooks open, but seemed to need some guidance, so it was with those three students that I put the majority of my energy into.  I still wish I could experience an hour of one on one with each student, but since the time I have is so limited, and the goal is first and foremost the enjoyment of writing and publication, I am working figure out ways to to adapt conferencing time to a minimum.  By taking home their journals during the week, reading them and writing notes back to the students, they can see that I am putting meaningful time and thought into their work, and hopefully this will set the tone for an hour of productivity each week.  Also I think it might be worth setting up a an informal sign-up schedule for future workshops so that I can work one on one specifically with a few students per session for concentrated conferencing time dedicated to their writing. 


My Developing Core Values:


  • I believe that all students deserve one on one attention. 

During the hour, I made an attempt to sit down one to one with at least 4 students to check in with them on their plans for publication Reggie Routeman, an expert in the field of teaching writing discusses the art of one-on-one conferencing with students in her book Writing Essentials: Raising Expectations While Simplifying Teaching points out that it is the teachers responsibility to know where kids are in their writing, celebrate their work-in-process, and help them move forward, but much of that work can happen through quick, informal conferences (Routeman, 2005).  I find that conferences can be effective by simply starting by asking students where they were at with their piece, how are they feeling about it, and do they need any help from me can lead to further discussion.  This week the three students who were needing the most guidance were either feeling disconnected from their piece since they haven't worked on it on over a week, or hadn't started anything yet. Talking to them about submitting something for the first publication, and allowing them the opportunity to use a piece they've worked on in our class, or from anything else they've written in the past gave them a certain sense of freedom and inclusion in the project.

I also believe that starting by asking the student to read the entire piece through first allows them a chance to self-edit as they go.  Then simple, but specific feedback and encouraging (but honest) words are most effective:

- I know you have a story to tell
- Tell me again what you mean here so that I'm sure I understand what you're saying
- I'm intrigued- tell me what happens next


  • I do not believe that hard work and play are mutually exclusive.  Success comes from completing tasks that are greater than imagined or expected, which is fun and intoxicating. 
Since the pieces the students are working on are going to be published into real books, that will then be sold on our website, and possibly in our local bookstore, this project not only feels real, it IS real! 
Lev Vygotsky, renowned Soviet Psychologist and founder of the human development theory the "zone of proximal development" which was based on the idea that social and cognitive development  are dependent on influences of culture, peers, and adults on the developing child. Vygotsky also discussed the importance of cultural tools to the sociocultural approach. These are items in the culture such as computers, books, and traditions that teach children about the expectations of the group. By participating in the cultural events and using the tools of the society, the child learns what is important in his culture (Vygosky, 1978). Honoring the work of young people, by publishing and offering it in a market that has meaning and purpose provides a motivating factor for students to put energy into their writing. 

  • I believe that it is adults' responsibility to encourage young people to take on challenging and meaningful projects, and to give them a chance to get addicted to that sort of success.


 I understand teaching to be an act of helping-in-learning.  In order to authentically "help-in-learning" one must support the learner to start from a place of learner inquiry.  In his research on developmental cognition, Vygosky discusses the "zone of proximal development" which refers to the difference in a child's performance when she attempts a problem on her own compared with when an adult or older child provides assistance (Vygosky, 1978).  The help from the adult is called scaffolding. Just as the scaffolding of a building helps to support it, assistance from adults and peers in a child's environment helps support the child's development.  I'm looking forward to seeing how the kids react to seeing their pieces published in our first book, and listed on our website for sale. 

  • I believe that adults and kids working hard on projects together is an important component to creating a healthy and thriving society.

Anyone who has ever had a close relationship with a child knows that kids know when adults are being honest and authentic.  Spending time with a child, with effort to support them and truly listen to what is meaningful and valuable to them is in essence the foundation to building a healthy and thriving society. 

Comments

Popular Posts