The Story of the Lost Teddy Bear (and other writing adventures)

We've completed day two of our collaborative writing project, which was a project idea based on the collaborative writing demo done at the 826 101 workshop. It was completely successful, especially considering I have a class full of 12 kids now, all varying in age from 5-13 years, making it particularly challenging to run a 1 hour writing workshop effectively. I started with with a photo projected onto a large screen and asked the kids to talk about what they think might be going on in the picture.
Then I opened up a word and asked the kids to think about some of the following story elements:

Story Characters
What are they doing?
Where are they going?
Who might they meet along the way?

It didn't actually take much prompting to get the story going.  Working together, the kids fed off of each others' ideas with impressive fluidity.  By the end of the our, we had produced a solid piece of writing that included developing characters, a destination, a problem setting them off course, an adventure ensued,  and many ideas for a conclusion.   I showed them a strategy I often use when for writing about when I have an idea, but don't have time to write it all out, so I just jot down some simple notes right at the bottom of the piece I'm working on to come back to later.


Yesterday, we came back to it, but I printed out several copies of the unfinished story and asked the kids to come up with their own endings either in pairs, groups or on their own.  I think they were especially motivated to write because I told them that I wanted our goal to be to publish our first book of stories by the end of October.  Kids got to work right away- even the little ones!!  Most started finishing the story, some continued working on illustrations, some worked on story pieces from classes past, and some started new pieces.

It's incredibly inspiring to see that glimmer of pride that kids get when you sit down with then one on one to talk to them about their work.  Simple questions like, where do you want to go with this piece?  Even asking them to read their piece to you allows them to edit some of their words to clarify their thinking all on their own.


Substitute Teaching Writing Projects

The other writing adventure I've started to embark on is with kids that I don't have the chance to build any sort of relationship with because I am sitting in as a sub for the day.  Instead of bringing a bunch of photocopied handouts for kids to work on when they finish early, I've been bringing stacks of zines and other kid written published works.  I've been giving the kids a choice to either read, or write.  To my surprise, occasionally kids choose to write using one or more of the writing prompts I've provided.Yesterday I gave a 13 year old boy the following writing prompt:

Think of a time you fell hard, and describe how you got back up.

I got the idea from listening the Radiolab podcast: Falling while on a run in the morning before subbing.  So when he chose writing, I jotted down the prompt and within 10 minutes he presented me with a moving story about a time he was in a car accident with his mom.

Then I had another kid approach me and ask me if he could tell me about a time he fell.  I enthusiastically offered my ears and he told me about the first time he was told that his aunt, whom he loved very much, was shot an killed in San Francisco, Mexico.  She was only twenty years old and caught in a violent crossfire.  He was devastated and only time allowed his heart to "get back up."

I was so impressed with his metaphorical take on the prompt I offered.

Now I'm thinking that I might also start a zine publication of 10 minute pieces with a substitute teacher.
To add to that, I might also produce a bi-monthly writing prompt that I can give to teachers for use during the school day as an extension activity.  That way, kids that aren't in my writing class can also have a chance to be published, and teachers can have a meaningful activity to give to early finishers as as reward, and as a chance to be part of something a publishing collaboration.

These are all ideas to be included as fund raising publications for the Fairy Tale Supply Shoppe.

Comments

Popular Posts