Reading the World


I started a collection of language observations that came about from place in time when I walked past a construction zone and noticed some young children who claimed front row seating to watch and observe the "big diggers digging big holes." Their eyes were transfixed by the almost prehistoric movement of the large machines as the sights and sounds of creation unfolded before their very eyes- revealing a glimpse into the world of human potential.  I loved watching their glee as they took in this new and exciting display of manifestation.  Watching them observe, and in effect, 'read the world' helped me to realize that I've become dulled to much of what surrounds me.

Teaching requires me to be able to identify growth and areas of need among the students.  Yet sometimes I'm so focused on moving students forward that I forget to simply observe and 'read' how they are developing as readers and writers.  I worry that I might be missing wonderful things the students are showing me, just like I would have otherwise missed the beautiful art hidden within construction zone.

A critical piece of literacy development involves encouraging students to transform identities they may have constructed as "struggling" or "reluctant" into new identities as more capable readers and learners. "As teachers explore and experiment with possible selves, teachers can encourage them to try on new reader identities, expanding their visions of who they are, and who they can become" (Greenleaf and Hinchman, 2009).

I just got back from a run during which I listened to the Radiolab podcast episode: Who Am I? 

I'd really like to figure out a way to describe to children the findings that were discussed in defining "the meaning of self." I think when I do; it will help me become more effective as a teacher of reading (and writing).

If you have some time, and a quiet place to listen and pay attention, the podcast can be found here: 

Comments

Popular Posts