summer literacy building

It's true.  There are other nerds out there who are as passionate about language and literacy as I am.  I have a few such friends/ colleagues with whom I frequently exchange text or email messages to share the funny things our kids say and do as they learn how to make sense of the world through language and print.  Over the summer months, I plan to use Literacy Roots as a platform to document some of the literacy building activities I do with my four-year-old on a day-to-day basis as they arise.

Since I decided to present my graduate studies learning via a presentation in comic strip form, comics are fresh on my mind for creative literacy tools with kids.  Last week, LJ and I decided to sit down and sketch out some characters for ourselves.  Then we gave our characters names.  So far, we've created three comic strips based on noteworthy conversations we've had.  Making a comic strip serves as a fun and creative form of documentation that kids can read over and again.  They relate to the stories first-hand and feel celebrated for their bright thoughts and ideas.   

(Bias disclaimer: such events are not uncommon with a bright and insightful and four-year-old living in the house).  

Without further ado:
  The Adventures of Bug-Bug and Lug Lug



Comments

  1. Great initiative I would say. These can be much more beneficial for children under proverty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts